Hammer Museum, Franklin D. Murphy Sculpture Garden
Cornell, Ralph D.
Franklin D. Murphy Sculpture Garden, UCLA
View looking south on the concrete pathway which runs north/south along the west side of the garden; The Franklin D. Murphy Sculpture Garden (named for UCLA's third chancellor) was dedicated in 1967, after the first acquisitions were installed, including eleven works from the estate of David E. Bright. The Sculpture Garden features over seventy sculptures by artists such as Jean Arp, Alexander Calder, Claire Falkenstein, Barbara Hepworth, Gaston Lachaise, Jacques Lipchitz, Henri Matisse, Henry Moore, Isamu Noguchi, Auguste Rodin, David Smith and Francisco Zuñiga, bringing together figural and abstract works and illustrating many approaches to sculpture. Ralph Cornell, who served as supervising landscape architect at UCLA from 1937 until his death in 1972, translated Murphy's ideas into a space (more than 5 acres) that combines the distinctive flora of Southern California with the pleasant informality of a modern American campus. Tripartite in plan, the garden includes a formal plaza paved in brick, a walkway or allee formed by a triple row of South African coral trees, and an informal sloping lawn transected with curving textured pathways and dotted with Brazilian jacarandas, California sycamores, and eucalyptus. Source: Hammer Museum, UCLA [website]; http://hammer.ucla.edu/ (accessed 4/28/2009)
Type of Worksculpture garden
contemporary (1960 to present), landscapes, Gardens, parks (recreation areas), Twentieth century, Twenty-first century
Licensed for educational and research use by the MIT community only