Show simple item record

dc.coverage.spatialSite: Paris, Île-de-France, Franceen_US
dc.coverage.temporalbegun 1584 (creation)en_US
dc.creatorMétezeau, Louisen_US
dc.date1584en_US
dc.date.accessioned2013-01-25T21:26:14Z
dc.date.available2013-01-25T21:26:14Z
dc.date.issued1584en_US
dc.identifier186413en_US
dc.identifier.otherarchrefid: 1651en_US
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/1721.3/95607
dc.descriptionThe Hôtel d’Angoulême, begun in 1584 for Diane d’Angoulême, Henry II’s illegitimate daughter, is attributed to Métezeau, and includes the city’s first example of a colossal order comprising large Corinthian pilasters, almost certainly inspired by one of Philibert de L’Orme’s plates in Le Premier Tome de l’architecture (1567; viii, fol. 252v). In 1658 Guillaume de Lamoignon (1617-1677) became president of the first parliament to sit in Paris. In the same year he bought the house in Rue Pavée (now the Hôtel de Lamoignon), property of the Angoulême family since 1584, and started to collect books, coins and medals. He was friendly with the most brilliant intellectuals of his day and was extolled by Nicolas Boileau in his poem Le Lutrin. Many famous people are associated with the building, including the architect Philibert Le Roy who lived there before 1631. It was purchased by the city of Paris in 1928 and became the Bibliothèque historique de la ville de Paris in 1969.; The Hôtel d’Angoulême, begun in 1584 for Diane d’Angoulême, Henry II’s illegitimate daughter, is attributed to Métezeau, and includes the city’s first example of a colossal order comprising large Corinthian pilasters, almost certainly inspired by one of Philibert de L’Orme’s plates in Le Premier Tome de l’architecture (1567; viii, fol. 252v). In 1658 Guillaume de Lamoignon (1617-1677) became president of the first parliament to sit in Paris. In the same year he bought the house in Rue Pavée (now the Hôtel de Lamoignon), property of the Angoulême family since 1584, and started to collect books, coins and medals. He was friendly with the most brilliant intellectuals of his day and was extolled by Nicolas Boileau in his poem Le Lutrin. Many famous people are associated with the building, including the architect Philibert Le Roy who lived there before 1631. It was purchased by the city of Paris in 1928 and became the Bibliothèque historique de la ville de Paris in 1969. Source: Grove Art Online; http://www.oxfordartonline.com/ (accessed 12/15/2008)en_US
dc.format.mediumstoneen_US
dc.rights© Scott Gilchrist, Archivision, Inc.en_US
dc.subjectarchitectural exteriorsen_US
dc.subjectrulers and leadersen_US
dc.subjectL’Orme, Philibert de, 1515?-1570en_US
dc.subjectMannerist (Renaissance-Baroque style)en_US
dc.subjectSixteenth centuryen_US
dc.titleHôtel d'Angoulême Lamoignonen_US
dc.title.alternativeBibliothèque historique de la ville de Parisen_US
dc.typeimageen_US
dc.rights.accessLicensed for educational and research use by the MIT community onlyen_US
dc.identifier.vendorcode1A2-F-P-HL-B6en_US
vra.culturalContextFrenchen_US
vra.techniqueconstruction (assembling)en_US
vra.worktypehôtel (town house)en_US
vra.worktypelibrary (building)en_US
dc.contributor.displayattributed to Louis Métezeau (French architect, 1559-1615)en_US


Files in this item

480.3Kb
JPEG image
1.786Mb
JPEG image
19.96Kb
JPEG image

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record