Show simple item record

dc.coverage.spatialSite: Trinity Monastery of St. Sergius (Zagorsk, Rossiya, Russia)en_US
dc.coverage.temporalfounded 1345 (creation)en_US
dc.creatorRublyov, Andreyen_US
dc.date1345en_US
dc.date.accessioned2013-01-25T19:05:08Z
dc.date.available2013-01-25T19:05:08Z
dc.date.issued1345en_US
dc.identifier187774en_US
dc.identifier.otherarchrefid: 1742en_US
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/1721.3/94798
dc.descriptionView of the central open space, looking northwest towards the blue painted bell tower with the red painted Chapel Over the Well at right; The monastery remains an important centre of the Russian Orthodox Church and contains the Sergiyev Posad Historical and Art Museum. The monastery was founded in 1345 by St Sergius Radonezhsky (1322-1392) and played an important role in the history of medieval Russia. The miraculous survival of Sergius’s body after the Tatar devastation of the monastery in 1408 made it into a place of pilgrimage. In the 15th century a calligraphic centre was established there, enabling scribes and artists to develop their own style of writing, illuminating and illustrating. In 1744 the monastery was elevated to the rank of a lavra. Fortress walls (1540-1550; rebuilt 17th century) surround the conventual buildings and have a total length of 1.5 km with 11 towers . The oldest church in the monastery is the Trinity Cathedral (Troitskiy Sobor), built of stone in 1422-1423 near the site of an earlier wooden church. It is a four-piered, single-dome structure with an 18th-century porch on the south side. Most of the icons on the iconostasis were the work of Andrey Rublyov and Daniil Chorny (ca. 1360-1430); frescoes (1635) decorate the walls. Source: Grove Art Online; http://www.oxfordartonline.com/ (accessed 6/22/2009)en_US
dc.format.mediumstone; stucco; gold leafen_US
dc.rights© Scott Gilchrist, Archivision, Inc.en_US
dc.subjectarchitectural exteriorsen_US
dc.subjectBaroqueen_US
dc.subjectSixteenth centuryen_US
dc.subjectSeventeenth centuryen_US
dc.subjectEighteenth centuryen_US
dc.titleTrinity Monastery of St. Sergius [complex]en_US
dc.typeimageen_US
dc.rights.accessLicensed for educational and research use by the MIT community onlyen_US
dc.identifier.vendorcode1A2-R-M-TMS-D1en_US
vra.culturalContextRussianen_US
vra.techniqueconstruction (assembling)en_US
vra.worktypemonasteryen_US
vra.worktypechurchen_US
vra.worktypepalaceen_US
dc.contributor.displayAndrey Rubylov (Russian painter, ca. 1360-1430) and numerous other artists and architctsen_US


Files in this item

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record