Iglesia de San Francisco
Templo de San Francisco
Windowed dome preceding the apse; After the Spanish conquest, Hernán Cortes gave the land to the Franciscans (the first order to establish itself in what was then called New Spain), who built a 32,490 square meter convent, the biggest in America. Part of the installation included the school of Artes y Oficios (Skills and Trades) of San Jose de los Naturales, which aimed to educate indigenous children. Only a small part of the cloister and church are intact, but it includes a Churrigueresque facade, built 1766.
Type of Workconvent; church
architectural exteriors, saints, Churrigueresque, Spanish Colonial
Licensed for educational and research use by the MIT community only