El Rancho de Las Golondrinas
El Rancho de las Golondrinas, Inc.
Ranch of the Swallows
Hacienda complex, west facade with entrance to inner courtyard at right; Former ranch in the northern part of New Mexico that has been recreated as a living history museum. Going north it was the last camping place (paraje, cf. caravanserai) on the Camino Real (from Mexico City) before reaching Santa Fe, New Mexico (a day's journey away). The ranch was founded by Miguel Vega y Coca in 1710. In addition to original buildings, historic buildings from other parts of northern New Mexico have been reconstructed. The site recreates 18th-century Spanish colonial ranch life. Guides are dressed in period clothing and demonstrate how people lived grinding their own flour, making their own tools, shoeing horses. Its acequia system (irrigation ditch complex) is on the Register of Historic Places for New Mexico. Source: Wikipedia; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page (accessed 9/5/2015)
Type of Workhistoric site; living history museum
agriculture, architecture, Restoration and conservation, Spain--Colonies--America, Eighteenth century, Spanish Colonial
Licensed for educational and research use by the MIT community only