Show simple item record

dc.coverage.spatialSite: Hyderābād, Andhra Pradesh, Indiaen_US
dc.coverage.temporal1591 CE (creation)en_US
dc.creatorunknownen_US
dc.date1591en_US
dc.date.accessioned2016-06-21T19:10:08Z
dc.date.available2016-06-21T19:10:08Z
dc.date.issued1591en_US
dc.identifier264602en_US
dc.identifier.otherarchrefid: 3378en_US
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/1721.3/180660
dc.descriptionDetail of decoration at center of dome; The English name is a combination of the Urdu words Chār and Minar, translating to "Four Towers". It stands at the intersection of two streets leading to the four quarters of the original city, has four minarets and four lofty arched portals supporting an elevated mosque. It is a square structure with each side 20 meters (approximately 66 feet) long. It was built by the fifth sultan of the Qutb Shahi dynasty of Golkonda, Muhammad Quli Qutb Shah (reigned 1580-1612). It may have been built to commemorate the eradication of the plague, but 1591 is also the Islamic millennium year (1000 AH); Qutb Shah founded the new capital city of Hyderabad to celebrate the event. Mir Momin Astarabadi, Qutb Shah's prime minister, played a leading role in preparing the layout plan of the Charminar and new city. Source: Grove Art Online; http://www.oxfordartonline.com/ (accessed 6/3/2015)en_US
dc.format.mediumgranite; limestone; mortar; pulverized marbleen_US
dc.rights© Scott Gilchrist, Archivision, Inc.en_US
dc.subjectrulers and leadersen_US
dc.subjectIslamen_US
dc.subjectGolcondaen_US
dc.titleCharminaren_US
dc.title.alternativeChar Minaren_US
dc.typeimageen_US
dc.rights.accessLicensed for educational and research use by the MIT community onlyen_US
dc.identifier.vendorcode1A2-IN-HY-C-A12en_US
vra.culturalContextIslamic Indian (South Asian)en_US
vra.techniqueconstruction (assembling)en_US
vra.worktypemosqueen_US
vra.worktypemonumenten_US
dc.contributor.displayunknown (Islamic (culture or style))en_US


Files in this item

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record