Show simple item record

dc.coverage.spatialSite: London, England, United Kingdomen_US
dc.coverage.temporal1947-1963 (creation); 1995-2000 (alteration)en_US
dc.creatorHerzog & de Meuronen_US
dc.creatorScott, Giles Gilberten_US
dc.date1947-1963en_US
dc.date.accessioned2016-06-21T18:51:42Z
dc.date.available2016-06-21T18:51:42Z
dc.date.issued1947-1963en_US
dc.identifier264107en_US
dc.identifier.otherarchrefid: 3315en_US
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/1721.3/180165
dc.descriptionInterior, mezzanine cutting across the ground floor Turbine Hall; Bankside Power Station is a former oil-fired power station, located on the south bank of the River Thames, in the Bankside district of London. It generated electricity from 1952 to 1981 and was designed by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott. A second phase of construction was not completed until 1963. The final structure roughly divided the building into three; the huge main turbine hall in the center, with the smaller boiler room to one side and the switching room to the other. The £134 million conversion to house the Tate Modern started in June 1995. Much of the internal structure remains, including the cavernous main Turbine Hall, which retains the overhead traveling crane. The Turbine Hall is five storeys tall with 3,400 square meters of floorspace. Source: Wikipedia; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page (accessed 8/27/2015)en_US
dc.format.mediumsteel framing; brick cladding; glass; concreteen_US
dc.rights© Scott Gilchrist, Archivision, Inc.en_US
dc.subjectarchitectureen_US
dc.subjectcontemporary (1960 to present)en_US
dc.subjectarchitectural reuseen_US
dc.subjectadaptive reuseen_US
dc.subjectTwentieth centuryen_US
dc.subjectTwenty-first centuryen_US
dc.titleTate Modernen_US
dc.title.alternativeBankside Power Stationen_US
dc.typeimageen_US
dc.rights.accessLicensed for educational and research use by the MIT community onlyen_US
dc.identifier.vendorcode1A2-E-L-TMOD-A08en_US
vra.culturalContextBritish (modern)en_US
vra.techniqueconstruction (assembling)en_US
vra.worktypeart museumen_US
vra.worktypepower plant buildingen_US
dc.contributor.displayGiles Gilbert Scott (British architect, 1880-1960); Herzog & de Meuron (Swiss architectural firm, founded 1978)en_US


Files in this item

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record