Show simple item record

dc.coverage.spatialSite: London, England, United Kingdomen_US
dc.coverage.temporal1723-1898 (inclusive)en_US
dc.creatorunknownen_US
dc.date1723-1898en_US
dc.date.accessioned2016-06-21T18:51:40Z
dc.date.available2016-06-21T18:51:40Z
dc.date.issued1723-1898en_US
dc.identifier264099en_US
dc.identifier.otherarchrefid: 3316en_US
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/1721.3/180157
dc.descriptionDetail of false half-timbering and leaded glass windows (1898); Located directly opposite Royal Courts of Justice and at the end of the Strand where it meets Fleet Street and the City of London, the George pub dates back to 1723. It claims Horace Walpole, Oliver Goldsmith and Samuel Johnson were regular patrons. It was originally a coffee house and despite the pub sign featuring George III, the pub is believed to have been named after the landlord, George Simpkins. The exterior is false half-timbered with leaded windows, a Victorian recreation from an 1898 rebuild by an entrepreneur named Frederick Stanley.en_US
dc.format.mediumwood; brick; stuccoen_US
dc.rights© Scott Gilchrist, Archivision, Inc.en_US
dc.subjectarchitectureen_US
dc.subjectpublic houseen_US
dc.subjectbaren_US
dc.subjectdiningen_US
dc.subjectEighteenth centuryen_US
dc.subjectVictorianen_US
dc.subjectNineteenth centuryen_US
dc.titleThe George, 213 The Stranden_US
dc.title.alternativeThe George Public House & Restauranten_US
dc.typeimageen_US
dc.rights.accessLicensed for educational and research use by the MIT community onlyen_US
dc.identifier.vendorcode1A2-E-L-TGE-A03en_US
vra.culturalContextBritish (modern)en_US
vra.techniqueconstruction (assembling)en_US
vra.worktypetavernen_US
vra.worktyperestauranten_US
dc.contributor.displayunknown (British (modern))en_US


Files in this item

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record