The George, 213 The Strand
The George Public House & Restaurant
Overall context view on The Strand; Located directly opposite Royal Courts of Justice and at the end of the Strand where it meets Fleet Street and the City of London, the George pub dates back to 1723. It claims Horace Walpole, Oliver Goldsmith and Samuel Johnson were regular patrons. It was originally a coffee house and despite the pub sign featuring George III, the pub is believed to have been named after the landlord, George Simpkins. The exterior is false half-timbered with leaded windows, a Victorian recreation from an 1898 rebuild by an entrepreneur named Frederick Stanley.
Type of Worktavern; restaurant
architecture, public house, bar, dining, Eighteenth century, Victorian, Nineteenth century
Licensed for educational and research use by the MIT community only