Show simple item record

dc.coverage.spatialSite: Paris, Île-de-France, Franceen_US
dc.coverage.temporalca. 1645-1667 (creation)en_US
dc.creatorMansart, Françoisen_US
dc.creatorLemercier, Jacquesen_US
dc.creatorLe Muet, Pierreen_US
dc.date1634-1667en_US
dc.date.accessioned2014-12-22T15:59:29Z
dc.date.available2014-12-22T15:59:29Z
dc.date.issued1634-1667en_US
dc.identifier253916en_US
dc.identifier.otherarchrefid: 2988en_US
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/1721.3/169555
dc.descriptionInterior, pendentive supporting the dome; medallion of an Evangelist (Saint Matthew) by Michel Anguier; The Church of the Val-de-Grâce is the church of a former royal abbey in what is now the Val-de-Grâce Hospital. The dome of the church is a principal landmark of the skyline of Paris. The church was initially designed by François Mansart, succeeded by Jacques Lemercier, who designed the dome. In 1645 Mansart was appointed by the queen, Anne of Austria, to add a church to the convent of the Val-de-Grâce, which she frequently visited on retreat. For this project Mansart devised a highly imaginative scheme based on the Escorial in Spain, where Anne had spent her youth. His design for the church was original in many respects, with bell-towers flanking the nave and a projecting single-storey entrance portico, more reminiscent of his château frontispieces than of a conventional church front. Mansart left the project after only one year. The abbey was turned into a military hospital after the French Revolution, but the church was preserved. Source: Grove Art Online; http://www.oxfordartonline.com/ (accessed 6/12/2014)en_US
dc.rights© Scott Gilchrist, Archivision, Inc.en_US
dc.subjectarchitectureen_US
dc.subjectrulers and leadersen_US
dc.subjectSeventeenth centuryen_US
dc.subjectBaroqueen_US
dc.titleChurch of the Val-de-Grâceen_US
dc.title.alternativeÉglise du Val-de-Grâceen_US
dc.typeimageen_US
dc.rights.accessLicensed for educational and research use by the MIT community onlyen_US
dc.identifier.vendorcode1A2-F-P-VDG-G07en_US
vra.culturalContextFrenchen_US
vra.techniqueconstruction (assembling), carving (processes)en_US
vra.worktypechurchen_US
dc.contributor.displayFrançois Mansart (French architect, ca. 1598-1666); Jacques Lemercier (French architect, ca.1584-1654); Pierre Le Muet (French architect, 1591-1669)en_US


Files in this item

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record