Show simple item record

dc.coverage.spatialSite: Williamstown, Massachusetts, United Statesen_US
dc.coverage.temporal1869 (creation); exterior, 1914 (alteration)en_US
dc.creatorBelcher, Samuelen_US
dc.date1869en_US
dc.date.accessioned2013-10-17T15:07:17Z
dc.date.available2013-10-17T15:07:17Z
dc.date.issued1869en_US
dc.identifier237871en_US
dc.identifier.otherarchrefid: 2673en_US
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/1721.3/145640
dc.descriptionDetail of central Ionic portico and clock; Hidden beneath the current exterior is an 1869 neo-Romanesque (Romanesque Revival) brick building. The Congregation was originally formed in 1765. In 1869 the new building was completed in a new location (from older meetinghouses which are no longer extant) and became known as the New Congregational Church. In 1914 the exterior was remodeled in white clapboard based on the First Congregational Church of Old Lyme, Connecticut (which had been rebuilt with much fanfare in 1909 to the 1816 plans of Samuel Belcher, after the original had burned down). Belcher was from Hartford CT, and also built the John Sill House and William Noyes House in Old Lyme in Federalist style. There are five other Connecticut churches that follow the same design, dating from the 1820-1830s. Source: First Congregational Church, Williamstown [website]; http://firstchurchwilliamstown.org/ (accessed 6/20/2012)en_US
dc.format.mediumbrick; wooden_US
dc.rights© Scott Gilchrist, Archivision, Inc.en_US
dc.subjectarchitectureen_US
dc.subjectRestoration and conservationen_US
dc.subjectrevival stylesen_US
dc.subjectNineteenth centuryen_US
dc.subjectTwentieth centuryen_US
dc.subjectFederalen_US
dc.subjectColonial Revivalen_US
dc.titleFirst Congregational Church, Williamstownen_US
dc.typeimageen_US
dc.rights.accessLicensed for educational and research use by the MIT community onlyen_US
dc.identifier.vendorcode1A2-US-WT-FCC-A6en_US
vra.culturalContextAmericanen_US
vra.techniqueconstruction (assembling)en_US
vra.worktypechurchen_US
dc.contributor.displayafter Samuel Belcher (American architect, active ca. 1815-1818)en_US


Files in this item

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record