Show simple item record

dc.coverage.spatialSite: Florence, Tuscany, Italyen_US
dc.coverage.temporal1337-1341 (creation)en_US
dc.creatorPisano, Andreaen_US
dc.creatorGiottoen_US
dc.date1337-1341en_US
dc.date.accessioned2013-07-11T20:52:55Z
dc.date.available2013-07-11T20:52:55Z
dc.date.issued1337-1341en_US
dc.identifier224562en_US
dc.identifier.otherarchrefid: 605en_US
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/1721.3/133137
dc.descriptionSouth elevation, detail of coats-of-arms at corner; The foundation stone of the new campanile of Florence Cathedral was laid in April 1334. The lower third of the tower was built according to Giotto's plans, and the lower section of the socle and the first floor were carried out under his direction to 1337, but the remaining sections were built from 1337 to 1341 under Andrea Pisano (the middle and upper levels completed by 1359, by Francesco Talenti). According to the account of the contemporary Antonio Pucci, Andrea was dismissed after attempting to deviate from Giotto's plan, which suggests that he was not an architect. Both levels of the socle were decorated with reliefs, in a coherent iconographic programme. The lower zone (originally with the exception of the north side) bore reliefs with three scenes from Genesis followed by the trovatori del-l'arti [sic] (Ghiberti), the 'discoverers of the crafts', while cycles of the Planets, Virtues, the Liberal Arts and the Seven Sacraments decorated the upper socle zone. Source: Grove Art Online; http://www.groveart.com/ (accessed 12/2/2007)en_US
dc.format.mediummarbleen_US
dc.rights© Scott Gilchrist, Archivision, Inc.en_US
dc.subjectallegoricalen_US
dc.subjectOld Testament and Apocryphaen_US
dc.subjectMedievalen_US
dc.titleFlorence Campanile: Pisano Reliefsen_US
dc.typeimageen_US
dc.rights.accessLicensed for educational and research use by the MIT community onlyen_US
dc.identifier.vendorcode6A1-PAN-CB-D2en_US
vra.culturalContextItalianen_US
vra.techniquecarving (processes)en_US
vra.worktypebas-relief (sculpture)en_US
dc.contributor.displayattributed to Andrea Pisano (Italian sculptor, ca. 1295-1349); attributed to Giotto (Italian architect, ca. 1266-1337)en_US


Files in this item

557.8Kb
JPEG image
1.915Mb
JPEG image
22.13Kb
JPEG image

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record