Show simple item record

dc.coverage.spatialSite: Tulum, Ruinas de, Quintana Roo, Mexicoen_US
dc.coverage.temporalca. 1200-ca. 1520 (creation)en_US
dc.creatorunknownen_US
dc.date1200-1520en_US
dc.date.accessioned2013-05-28T19:57:22Z
dc.date.available2013-05-28T19:57:22Z
dc.date.issued1200-1520en_US
dc.identifier221456en_US
dc.identifier.otherarchrefid: 489en_US
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/1721.3/129403
dc.descriptionTemple of the Winds, context view looking south over the entire site, with "El Castillo" in the distance; It lies on the east coast of Quintana Roo about 40 km south-west of the island of Cozumel, on the summit of a limestone cliff about 12 m high, facing the Caribbean Sea. The name 'Tulum', which means 'wall' or 'fortification', is modern, but there is reason to believe that its ancient name was Zama, one of the Maya cities that, according to the chronicles, existed at the time of the Spanish Conquest. The conquistador Juan de Grijalva is generally credited with the discovery of Tulum during his expedition by sea along the coast of Quintana Roo in 1518. Source: Grove Art Online; http://www.groveart.com/ (accessed 2/14/2008)en_US
dc.format.mediumstoneen_US
dc.rights© Scott Gilchrist, Archivision, Inc.en_US
dc.subjectMesoamericanen_US
dc.subjectPostclassicen_US
dc.titleTulum [site]en_US
dc.title.alternativeTulum, Ruinas deen_US
dc.typeimageen_US
dc.rights.accessLicensed for educational and research use by the MIT community onlyen_US
dc.identifier.vendorcode1A3-M-M-TU-E3en_US
vra.culturalContextMayaen_US
vra.techniqueconstruction (assembling)en_US
vra.worktypeexcavation (site)en_US
dc.contributor.displayunknown (Maya)en_US


Files in this item

490.0Kb
JPEG image
1.828Mb
JPEG image
20.21Kb
JPEG image

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record