Show simple item record

dc.coverage.spatialSite: Pesto, Campania, Italyen_US
dc.coverage.temporal6th-5th century BCE (inclusive)en_US
dc.creatorunknownen_US
dc.date-599--400en_US
dc.date.accessioned2013-05-22T19:42:05Z
dc.date.available2013-05-22T19:42:05Z
dc.date.issued-599--400en_US
dc.identifier221048en_US
dc.identifier.otherarchrefid: 480en_US
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/1721.3/128972
dc.descriptionThe "Basilica", general view, from the southeast, with the Temple of Neptune behind (this is the oldest temple in Paestum - erected in the middle of the 6C BCE it is divided into two parts and was dedicated to Hera (Juno). It now consists of 50 archaic Doric Columns); Ancient city was established by Greek colonists from Sybaris, who called it Poseidonia; taken by Lucanians 5th cen. BCE & by Romans 273 BCE; was famous for its roses; was destroyed by Saracens 871 AD; now site of the village of Pesto. Source: Thesaurus of Geographic Names (Notes) [website]; http://www.getty.edu/research/conducting_research/vocabularies/tgn/ (accessed 2/14/2008)en_US
dc.format.mediumtufa (originally covered with stucco and painted)en_US
dc.rights© Scott Gilchrist, Archivision, Inc.en_US
dc.subjectArchaic (Greek)en_US
dc.titlePaestum [site]en_US
dc.typeimageen_US
dc.rights.accessLicensed for educational and research use by the MIT community onlyen_US
dc.identifier.vendorcode1A3-G-P-P-G1en_US
vra.culturalContextGreek (ancient)en_US
vra.techniqueconstruction (assembling)en_US
vra.worktypeexcavation (site)en_US
dc.contributor.displayunknown (Greek (ancient))en_US


Files in this item

693.6Kb
JPEG image
2.532Mb
JPEG image
21.65Kb
JPEG image

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record