Show simple item record

dc.coverage.spatialSite: Olympia, Peloponnese, Greeceen_US
dc.coverage.temporal2nd century BCE (creation)en_US
dc.creatorunknownen_US
dc.date-199--100en_US
dc.date.accessioned2013-05-22T19:41:00Z
dc.date.available2013-05-22T19:41:00Z
dc.date.issued-199--100en_US
dc.identifier221003en_US
dc.identifier.otherarchrefid: 698en_US
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/1721.3/128927
dc.descriptionView down the outer west flank, looking north; To the north of the palaestra and connected with it was the gymnasium, an enclosed rectangular building (120 x 220 m) with a wide court in the centre and colonnades on the four sides. There the athletes trained for such contests as throwing the javelin and discus, and running. It was built in the late 2nd century BCE, while the monumental entrance between it and the palaestra, in the form of an amphiprostyle Corinthian propylon, was erected soon after. Source: Grove Art Online; http://www.groveart.com/ (accessed 12/2/2007)en_US
dc.format.mediumstone; marbleen_US
dc.rights© Scott Gilchrist, Archivision, Inc.en_US
dc.subjectarchitectural exteriorsen_US
dc.subjectrecreation and gamesen_US
dc.subjectfestivalsen_US
dc.subjectOlympicsen_US
dc.subjectHellenisticen_US
dc.titleOlympia: Gymnasiumen_US
dc.title.alternativeGymnasiumen_US
dc.typeimageen_US
dc.rights.accessLicensed for educational and research use by the MIT community onlyen_US
dc.identifier.vendorcode1A3-G-O-9-A2en_US
vra.culturalContextGreek (ancient)en_US
vra.techniqueconstruction (assembling)en_US
vra.worktypegymnasiumen_US
dc.contributor.displayunknown (Greek (ancient))en_US


Files in this item

632.7Kb
JPEG image
2.175Mb
JPEG image
22.26Kb
JPEG image

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record