Show simple item record

dc.coverage.spatialSite: Olympia, Peloponnese, Greeceen_US
dc.coverage.temporalca. 338 BCE (creation)en_US
dc.creatorunknownen_US
dc.date-338--330en_US
dc.date.accessioned2013-05-22T19:40:31Z
dc.date.available2013-05-22T19:40:31Z
dc.date.issued-338--330en_US
dc.identifier220974en_US
dc.identifier.otherarchrefid: 695en_US
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/1721.3/128898
dc.descriptionDetail of the marble plinth; The Philippeion, an elegant circular peripteral building (diam. 15.24 m) south of the prytaneion, was begun by Philip II of Macedonia after the Battle of Chaironeia (338 BCE) but finished by his son Alexander the Great. It stood on a marble stylobate, mostly preserved, and was surrounded by an Ionic colonnade. Corinthian half-columns were placed at intervals around the interior of the circular cella, at the back of which were five chryselephantine portrait statues by Leochares representing Alexander the Great between his parents and his grandfathers. This type of tholos (circular building), used earlier for worship of the gods, was here employed for the first time for the hero cult of the Macedonian dynasty. Source: Grove Art Online; http://www.groveart.com/ (accessed 11/4/2007)en_US
dc.format.mediummarbleen_US
dc.rights© Scott Gilchrist, Archivision, Inc.en_US
dc.subjectarchitectural exteriorsen_US
dc.subjectrulers and leadersen_US
dc.subjectAlexander, the Great, 356-323 B.C.en_US
dc.subjectHellenisticen_US
dc.titleOlympia: Philippeionen_US
dc.title.alternativePhilippeionen_US
dc.typeimageen_US
dc.rights.accessLicensed for educational and research use by the MIT community onlyen_US
dc.identifier.vendorcode1A3-G-O-6-B1en_US
vra.culturalContextGreek (ancient)en_US
vra.techniqueconstruction (assembling)en_US
vra.worktypetempleen_US
vra.worktypetholosen_US
dc.contributor.displayunknown (Greek (ancient))en_US


Files in this item

736.4Kb
JPEG image
2.604Mb
JPEG image
23.49Kb
JPEG image

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record