Show simple item record

dc.coverage.spatialSite: Olympia, Peloponnese, Greeceen_US
dc.coverage.temporal160 CE (creation)en_US
dc.creatorunknownen_US
dc.date160en_US
dc.date.accessioned2013-05-22T19:40:17Z
dc.date.available2013-05-22T19:40:17Z
dc.date.issued160en_US
dc.identifier220962en_US
dc.identifier.otherarchrefid: 694en_US
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/1721.3/128886
dc.descriptionView over the exedra, looking towards the Temple of Hera; In 160 CE Herodes Atticus built a magnificent fountain, the nymphaeum or exedra (w. 33 m, h. about 13 m), in the form of a semicircle with a circular naiskos (small shrine) at each end. The walls were of brick with polychrome marble facing. Above the semicircular, probably two-storey wall, and in the apsidal recesses that made up the central façade, were 22 statues of Antoninus Pius (reigned 138-161 CE) and his family as well as the family of Herodes Atticus. The space between the two naiskoi was occupied by two superimposed basins. The water, from an abundant spring 4 km east of Olympia, ran from the nymphaeum via a network of conduits throughout the sanctuary. Source: Grove Art Online; http://www.groveart.com/ (accessed 11/4/2007)en_US
dc.format.mediumstoneen_US
dc.rights© Scott Gilchrist, Archivision, Inc.en_US
dc.subjectarchitectural exteriorsen_US
dc.subjectrulers and leadersen_US
dc.subjectImperial (Roman)en_US
dc.titleOlympia: Exedra of Herod Atticusen_US
dc.title.alternativeExedra of Herod Atticusen_US
dc.title.alternativeNymphaeumen_US
dc.typeimageen_US
dc.rights.accessLicensed for educational and research use by the MIT community onlyen_US
dc.identifier.vendorcode1A3-G-O-5-A1en_US
vra.culturalContextAncient Romanen_US
vra.techniqueconstruction (assembling)en_US
vra.worktypeexedra (interior space)en_US
vra.worktypefountainen_US
dc.contributor.displayunknown (Ancient Roman)en_US


Files in this item

671.1Kb
JPEG image
2.350Mb
JPEG image
23.19Kb
JPEG image

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record