Show simple item record

dc.coverage.spatialSite: Delphi, Central Greece and Euboea, Greeceen_US
dc.coverage.temporalca. 370 BCE (creation)en_US
dc.creatorunknownen_US
dc.date-370en_US
dc.date.accessioned2013-05-22T17:49:40Z
dc.date.available2013-05-22T17:49:40Z
dc.date.issued-370en_US
dc.identifier220463en_US
dc.identifier.otherarchrefid: 689en_US
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/1721.3/128418
dc.descriptionThe Ionic Treasury of the Massaliots, the northeast corner, detail; The third Temple of Athena, built ca. 370 BCE next to the Tholos, was non-peripteral and more severe. Together with the Doric Treasury of the Thebans and the Ionic peristyle in the gymnasium, it is among the first buildings to be made of the fine St. Elias limestone from Mt. Parnassos. Behind the six Doric columns of its façade the cella was closed only by three screens between two Ionic half-columns in antis. The latter's half-capitals were of a new type, with volutes on all three sides, as in the Temple of Apollo at Bassai. The cella's open, well-ventilated entrance and elongated plan suggest that it contained an altar, perhaps similar to that in the Hieron at Samothrace. Source: Grove Art Online; http://www.groveart.com/ (accessed 11/11/2007)en_US
dc.format.mediumstone; marbleen_US
dc.rights© Scott Gilchrist, Archivision, Inc.en_US
dc.subjectarchitectural exteriorsen_US
dc.subjectdeitiesen_US
dc.subjectmythology (Classical)en_US
dc.subjectClassicalen_US
dc.titleSanctuary of Athena Pronaia: Temple of Athenaen_US
dc.typeimageen_US
dc.rights.accessLicensed for educational and research use by the MIT community onlyen_US
dc.identifier.vendorcode1A3-G-D-11-F4en_US
vra.culturalContextGreek (ancient)en_US
vra.techniqueconstruction (assembling)en_US
vra.worktypetempleen_US
vra.worktypegymnasiumen_US
dc.contributor.displayunknown (Greek (ancient))en_US


Files in this item

747.1Kb
JPEG image
2.709Mb
JPEG image
23.54Kb
JPEG image

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record