Show simple item record

dc.coverage.spatialSite: Toronto, Ontario, Canadaen_US
dc.coverage.temporal1964-1971 (creation)en_US
dc.creatorMies van der Rohe, Ludwigen_US
dc.creatorBregman + Hamann Architects and Engineersen_US
dc.creatorJohn B. Parkin Associatesen_US
dc.date1964-1971en_US
dc.date.accessioned2013-05-07T19:27:48Z
dc.date.available2013-05-07T19:27:48Z
dc.date.issued1964-1971en_US
dc.identifier214419en_US
dc.identifier.otherarchrefid: 182en_US
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/1721.3/121786
dc.descriptionEast tower, south side lobby, general view; Frequently referred to as the TD Centre, it consists of six towers, covered in bronze-tinted glass and black painted steel. (Far south tower added 1985, far east tower added 1994.) Mies van der Rohe arranged the three structures on a granite plinth (a common tactic for most of his later urban projects), with the Banking Pavilion anchoring the site at the corner of King and Bay Streets. The Toronto-Dominion Bank Tower sat to the south on Wellington Street, and the Royal Trust tower closed off the northwest boundary. The buildings are confined to a rigid structural grid set out across the plinth's top, and each is offset to the one next to them by exactly one bay of the grid, allowing views to 'slide' open or closed as one moves through the site. On the north side, within the space created by the situation of the towers and pavilion, a large granite plaza provided a formal entry to the complex. In 2004 this courtyard was named Oscar Peterson Square. Blurring the distinction between interior and exterior, the granite surface of the plaza extends through the glass lobbies of the towers and through the Banking Pavilion. On the south, cornered by the Toronto-Dominion and Royal Trust Towers, was a large lawn. These were the first examples of public outdoor space within the urban core of Toronto. Source: Wikipedia; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page (accessed 12/2/2007)en_US
dc.format.mediumsteel; glass; travertineen_US
dc.rights© Scott Gilchrist, Archivision, Inc.en_US
dc.subjectarchitectural exteriorsen_US
dc.subjectbusiness, commerce and tradeen_US
dc.subjectcontemporary (1960 to present)en_US
dc.subjectInternational Style (modern European architecture style)en_US
dc.subjectModernisten_US
dc.titleToronto-Dominion Centreen_US
dc.title.alternativeTD Centreen_US
dc.typeimageen_US
dc.rights.accessLicensed for educational and research use by the MIT community onlyen_US
dc.identifier.vendorcode1A1-MVR-TD-C2en_US
vra.culturalContextCanadianen_US
vra.techniqueconstruction (assembling)en_US
vra.worktypemixed-use developmenten_US
vra.worktypeskyscraperen_US
vra.worktypeoffice buildingen_US
dc.contributor.displayBregman + Hamann Architects and Engineers (Canadian architectural firm, 1953-); John B. Parkin Associates (Canadian architectural firm, 1947-renamed 1971); Ludwig Mies van der Rohe (German architect, 1886-1969)en_US


Files in this item

533.4Kb
JPEG image
1.856Mb
JPEG image
22.53Kb
JPEG image

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record