Show simple item record

dc.coverage.spatialSite: Rome, Lazio, Italyen_US
dc.coverage.temporal1571-1584 (creation)en_US
dc.creatorPorta, Giacomo dellaen_US
dc.creatorVignola, Jacopo daen_US
dc.creatorFarnese, Alessandro, IIen_US
dc.date1571-1584en_US
dc.date.accessioned2013-04-29T17:12:05Z
dc.date.available2013-04-29T17:12:05Z
dc.date.issued1571-1584en_US
dc.identifier212470en_US
dc.identifier.otherarchrefid: 68en_US
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/1721.3/119900
dc.descriptionLateral niche, left side, detail; n July 1571 work began on the façade of Il Gesù, for which Cardinal Alessandro Farnese had favoured della Porta's design over those of Jacopo Vignola--who had largely designed the rest of the church--and Galeazzo Alessi. Della Porta also designed the high altar (1582) and the crossing (1584) of Il Gesù. Della Porta's design accentuated the verticality of the façade, thereby creating a strong central climax; this provided a precedent for successive Baroque façades. Il Gesù was the first permanent Roman church of the Jesuit Order. Source: Grove Art Online; http://www.groveart.com/ (accessed 12/2/2007)en_US
dc.format.mediummarble; bricken_US
dc.rights© Scott Gilchrist, Archivision, Inc.en_US
dc.subjectarchitectural exteriorsen_US
dc.subjectFarnese, Alessandro, 1520-1589en_US
dc.subjectJesuitsen_US
dc.subjectBaroqueen_US
dc.titleIl Gesùen_US
dc.title.alternativeChiesa del Sacro Nome di Gesùen_US
dc.typeimageen_US
dc.rights.accessLicensed for educational and research use by the MIT community onlyen_US
dc.identifier.vendorcode1A1-DP-IG-D3en_US
vra.culturalContextItalianen_US
vra.techniqueen_US
vra.worktypechurchen_US
dc.contributor.displayAlessandro Farnese II (Italian patron, 1520-1589); Giacomo della Porta (Italian architect, ca. 1532-ca. 1604); Jacopo da Vignola (Italian architect, 1507-1573)en_US


Files in this item

628.7Kb
JPEG image
2.264Mb
JPEG image
23.25Kb
JPEG image

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record