Show simple item record

dc.coverage.spatialSite: Santa Maria della Pace (Rome, Lazio, Italy)en_US
dc.coverage.temporal1656-1659 (creation)en_US
dc.creatorCortona, Pietro daen_US
dc.creatorAlexander VII, Popeen_US
dc.date1656-1659en_US
dc.date.accessioned2013-04-29T17:10:00Z
dc.date.available2013-04-29T17:10:00Z
dc.date.issued1656-1659en_US
dc.identifier212343en_US
dc.identifier.otherarchrefid: 64en_US
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/1721.3/119792
dc.descriptionClose view looking up the west façade; Cortona had more opportunity to work as an architect under Pope Alexander VII, and in his façade (1656-1659) for the 15th-century church of S Maria della Pace, Rome, and the replanning of its piazza, he realized one of the most impressive works of the Roman Baroque. This project ingeniously incorporates ideas analogous to his theatre-like designs. The patron, Alexander VII, had the piazza in front of the church enlarged to a regular trapezoidal area to permit him to arrive in his carriage in front of the church, which contained his redesigned family chapel, the Chigi Chapel. Source: Grove Art Online; http://www.groveart.com/ (accessed 12/27/2007)en_US
dc.format.mediummarbleen_US
dc.rights© Scott Gilchrist, Archivision, Inc.en_US
dc.subjectarchitectural exteriorsen_US
dc.subjectAlexander VII, Pope, 1599-1667en_US
dc.subjectBaroqueen_US
dc.titleSanta Maria della Paceen_US
dc.typeimageen_US
dc.rights.accessLicensed for educational and research use by the MIT community onlyen_US
dc.identifier.vendorcode1A1-CPD-SP-C3en_US
vra.culturalContextItalianen_US
vra.techniqueconstruction (assembling)en_US
vra.worktypechurchen_US
dc.contributor.displayAlexander VII, Pope (Italian patron, 1599-1667); Pietro da Cortona (Italian architect, 1596-1669)en_US


Files in this item

600.2Kb
JPEG image
2.492Mb
JPEG image
22.67Kb
JPEG image

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record