Show simple item record

dc.coverage.spatialSite: Rome, Lazio, Italyen_US
dc.coverage.temporal1634-ca. 1670 (creation)en_US
dc.creatorCortona, Pietro daen_US
dc.date1634-1679en_US
dc.date.accessioned2013-04-29T17:09:29Z
dc.date.available2013-04-29T17:09:29Z
dc.date.issued1634-1679en_US
dc.identifier212317en_US
dc.identifier.otherarchrefid: 63en_US
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/1721.3/119766
dc.descriptionClose side view of the north façade; SS Luca e Martina (the church of the painter's guild Accademia di S Luca in Rome) is planned as a Greek cross with apsidal endings and a dome over the crossing, set on a drum. The internal wall surface is vigorously articulated with pilasters and paired free-standing columns recessed under a continuous entablature, recalling Michelangelo's usage at the Biblioteca Laurenziana in Florence. The lower storey of the façade is structured in the same way, with engaged columns and projecting pilasters. In both storeys of the façade the wall describes a gentle convex curve between the central bay and the coupled pilasters at the sides: thus a main theme of Baroque church façade design appeared in Rome. Source: Grove Art Online; http://www.groveart.com/ (accessed 11/5/2007)en_US
dc.format.mediummarble; bricken_US
dc.rights© Scott Gilchrist, Archivision, Inc.en_US
dc.subjectarchitectural exteriorsen_US
dc.subjectdeath or burialen_US
dc.subjectsaintsen_US
dc.subjectLuke, Sainten_US
dc.subjectBaroqueen_US
dc.titleSanti Luca e Martinaen_US
dc.title.alternativeSS Luca e Martinaen_US
dc.typeimageen_US
dc.rights.accessLicensed for educational and research use by the MIT community onlyen_US
dc.identifier.vendorcode1A1-CPD-SL-C2en_US
vra.culturalContextItalianen_US
vra.techniqueconstruction (assembling)en_US
vra.worktypechurchen_US
dc.contributor.displayPietro da Cortona (Italian architect, 1596-1669)en_US


Files in this item

657.7Kb
JPEG image
2.435Mb
JPEG image
22.72Kb
JPEG image

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record