Show simple item record

dc.coverage.spatialSite: Ariccia, Lazio, Italyen_US
dc.coverage.temporal1662-1664 (creation)en_US
dc.creatorBernini, Gian Lorenzoen_US
dc.date1662-1664en_US
dc.date.accessioned2013-04-29T15:13:43Z
dc.date.available2013-04-29T15:13:43Z
dc.date.issued1662-1664en_US
dc.identifier212011en_US
dc.identifier.otherarchrefid: 650en_US
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/1721.3/119502
dc.descriptionBlind window in a lateral side wing; It was not until 1658 that he had the opportunity to design entire churches, albeit relatively small ones. In that year he began S Tommaso da Villanova (completed 1661) at Castel Gandolfo and S Andrea al Quirinale in Rome. In 1662-1664 he built S Maria dell' Assunzione at Ariccia. All three are variations on a domed, centralized plan. The church at Ariccia is a more interesting scheme based on a circular plan and having a hemispherical dome rising straight from the cornice of the main walls. It is entered through a triple-arched and pedimented portico with pilasters. This remarkably pure combination of cylinder, hemisphere and portico was clearly inspired by Bernini's contemporary involvement with schemes to restore the Pantheon to its 'original' state. Source: Grove Art Online; http://www.groveart.com/ (accessed 12/2/2007)en_US
dc.format.mediumstone; stucco; frescoen_US
dc.rights© Scott Gilchrist, Archivision, Inc.en_US
dc.subjectarchitectural exteriorsen_US
dc.subjectBaroqueen_US
dc.titleSanta Maria dell'Assunzioneen_US
dc.typeimageen_US
dc.rights.accessLicensed for educational and research use by the MIT community onlyen_US
dc.identifier.vendorcode1A1-BG-SMA-C3en_US
vra.culturalContextItalianen_US
vra.techniqueconstruction (assembling)en_US
vra.worktypechurchen_US
dc.contributor.displayGian Lorenzo Bernini (Italian architect, 1598-1680)en_US


Files in this item

403.1Kb
JPEG image
1.687Mb
JPEG image
19.02Kb
JPEG image

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record