Show simple item record

dc.coverage.spatialSite: Santa Maria della Vittoria (Rome, Lazio, Italy)en_US
dc.coverage.temporal1647-1652 (creation)en_US
dc.creatorBernini, Gian Lorenzoen_US
dc.date1647-1652en_US
dc.date.accessioned2013-04-26T19:47:37Z
dc.date.available2013-04-26T19:47:37Z
dc.date.issued1647-1652en_US
dc.identifier211660en_US
dc.identifier.otherarchrefid: 48en_US
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/1721.3/119150
dc.descriptionView of the left (south) gallery; The unity of sculpture, painting and architecture makes the chapel one of Bernini's greatest achievements. He was commissioned by the Venetian Cardinal Federigo Cornaro (1579-1653) to decorate a small chapel forming the left transept of the early 17th-century church. The patron wanted to construct a mortuary chapel for himself, commemorate seven other distinguished members of his family and, especially, honour St. Teresa of Avila, the 16th-century Spanish mystic and Carmelite reformer canonized in 1622. Source: Grove Art Online; http://www.groveart.com/ (accessed 10/17/2007)en_US
dc.format.mediummarble; stained glass; frescoen_US
dc.rights© Scott Gilchrist, Archivision, Inc.en_US
dc.subjectdeath or burialen_US
dc.subjectsaintsen_US
dc.subjectAngelsen_US
dc.subjectTeresa, of Avila, Saint, 1515-1582en_US
dc.subjectBaroqueen_US
dc.titleCornaro Chapelen_US
dc.title.alternativeSanta Maria della Vittoria; Cornaro Chapelen_US
dc.title.alternativeCappella Cornaroen_US
dc.typeimageen_US
dc.rights.accessLicensed for educational and research use by the MIT community onlyen_US
dc.identifier.vendorcode1A1-BG-CC-G8en_US
vra.culturalContextItalianen_US
vra.techniquecarving (processes) construction (assembling)en_US
vra.worktypesepulchral chapelen_US
vra.worktypesculpture (visual work)en_US
dc.contributor.displayGian Lorenzo Bernini (Italian sculptor and architect, 1598-1680)en_US


Files in this item

526.1Kb
JPEG image
2.014Mb
JPEG image
18.96Kb
JPEG image

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record