Show simple item record

dc.coverage.spatialSite: Rome, Lazio, Italyen_US
dc.coverage.temporal1612-1653 (creation); 1660 (alteration)en_US
dc.creatorBorromini, Francescoen_US
dc.date1612-1653en_US
dc.date.accessioned2013-04-26T19:42:49Z
dc.date.available2013-04-26T19:42:49Z
dc.date.issued1612-1653en_US
dc.identifier211401en_US
dc.identifier.otherarchrefid: 30en_US
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/1721.3/118891
dc.descriptionView looking up at the drum; While building the Collegio di Propaganda Fide, Borromini also worked on the neighbouring monastery church of the Minims, S Andrea delle Fratte. He began building the campanile, the only part of the project he was able to complete, in 1653. It has a high, square base supporting a small, almost completely open tempietto, with a storey above articulated alternately with deep recesses and pairs of angel herms. On top of the campanile is a device comprising four inverted scrolls that frame cartouches bearing the emblems of the Minimite Order and of their patron, Marchese Paolo del Bufalo, the whole surmounted by a spiky crown. In 1660 building work began on the dome, which remained unfinished. Source: Grove Art Online; http://www.groveart.com/ (accessed 12/2/2007)en_US
dc.format.mediumbrick; marbleen_US
dc.rights© Scott Gilchrist, Archivision, Inc.en_US
dc.subjectarchitectural exteriorsen_US
dc.subjectBaroqueen_US
dc.titleSant'Andrea delle Fratteen_US
dc.typeimageen_US
dc.rights.accessLicensed for educational and research use by the MIT community onlyen_US
dc.identifier.vendorcode1A1-BF-SF-A5en_US
vra.culturalContextItalianen_US
vra.techniqueconstruction (assembling)en_US
vra.worktypechurchen_US
dc.contributor.displayFrancesco Borromini (Italian architect, 1599-1667)en_US


Files in this item

583.7Kb
JPEG image
2.465Mb
JPEG image
22.57Kb
JPEG image

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record