Show simple item record

dc.coverage.spatialSite: Rome, Lazio, Italyen_US
dc.coverage.temporal1634-1636 (creation)en_US
dc.creatorBorromini, Francescoen_US
dc.date1634-1636en_US
dc.date.accessioned2013-04-26T19:42:26Z
dc.date.available2013-04-26T19:42:26Z
dc.date.issued1634-1636en_US
dc.identifier211384en_US
dc.identifier.otherarchrefid: 645en_US
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/1721.3/118874
dc.descriptionThe cloister, frontal view of arched opening with balustrade above; In 1634 Cardinal Francesco Barberini helped Borromini to gain his first commission as an independent architect, the monastery and church of S Carlo alle Quattro Fontane (or S Carlino) for the Discalced Trinitarians, who had established themselves there in 1611. The monastic building, complete with cells, refectory and library, was finished by 1636, but work on the church could not begin until 1638. The monastic building with its small courtyard was created first to meet the Order's most pressing needs; the courtyard design is notable for the convex curvature of its corners and its pairs of monumental Doric columns. In his designs for the low upper storey of the courtyard, Borromini was apparently influenced by Bramante's cortile at S Maria della Pace, Rome (1500). He subsequently clad the stark external walls of the living-quarters with a spacious grid of flat pilasters. Source: Grove Art Online; http://www.groveart.com/ (accessed 12/9/2007)en_US
dc.format.mediumstone; stuccoen_US
dc.rights© Scott Gilchrist, Archivision, Inc.en_US
dc.subjectarchitectural exteriorsen_US
dc.subjectBaroqueen_US
dc.titleSan Carlo alle Quattro Fontane: Monasteryen_US
dc.typeimageen_US
dc.rights.accessLicensed for educational and research use by the MIT community onlyen_US
dc.identifier.vendorcode1A1-BF-SCM-C4en_US
vra.culturalContextItalianen_US
vra.techniqueconstruction (assembling)en_US
vra.worktypemonasteryen_US
dc.contributor.displayFrancesco Borromini (Italian architect, 1599-1667)en_US


Files in this item

353.1Kb
JPEG image
1.327Mb
JPEG image
19.75Kb
JPEG image

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record