Show simple item record

dc.coverage.spatialSite: New Kalabsha Reconstruction (Aswan, Upper Egypt, Egypt)en_US
dc.coverage.temporalca. 30 BCE-450 CE (inclusive)en_US
dc.creatorunknownen_US
dc.date-30-450en_US
dc.date.accessioned2013-04-17T18:21:41Z
dc.date.available2013-04-17T18:21:41Z
dc.date.issued-30-450en_US
dc.identifier209031en_US
dc.identifier.otherarchrefid: 982en_US
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/1721.3/116911
dc.descriptionHypostyle Hall, the west wall, north section, detail of raised relief; The Temple, from Kalabsha, (ancient Talmis), was moved to its present site in 1970. The sandstone edifice was built by the Roman Emperor Octavius Augustus (30 to 14 BCE) and dedicated to the fertility and Nubian Solar deity known as Mandulis (Merwel who was the Nubian counterpart of Horus). It was the largest free-standing temple of Egyptian Nubia and the design of Kalabsha Temple is standard for the Ptolemaic period with pylons, courtyard, hypostyle hall and three room sanctuary. However, the Pylon is offset, which creates a trapezoid in the courtyard beyond. It was built on the site of an earlier structure built by Ptolemy IX as evidenced by a chapel. There is also a small chapel and gate on Elephantine Island from Kalabsha, and a gate built by Augustus was given to the Agyptisches Museum in Berlin. "The inscriptions at Kalabsha show activity into the Bellana period (ca. 360-550 CE). A graffito of the mid-5th century CE in the temple of Kalabsha shows King Silko triumphing over the Blemmyes (a people of the Eastern Desert) and in the act of being given the Meroitic plumed atef-crown by a Roman winged Victory." Source: Grove Art Online; http://www.groveart.com/ (accessed 1/18/2008)en_US
dc.format.mediumstone; limestoneen_US
dc.rights© Scott Gilchrist, Archivision, Inc.en_US
dc.subjectarchitectural exteriorsen_US
dc.subjectrulers and leadersen_US
dc.subjectRoman Empireen_US
dc.subjectPtolemaicen_US
dc.subjectImperial (Roman)en_US
dc.titleTemple of Kalabshaen_US
dc.typeimageen_US
dc.rights.accessLicensed for educational and research use by the MIT community onlyen_US
dc.identifier.vendorcode1A3-EG-K-2-E4en_US
vra.culturalContextEgyptian (ancient)en_US
vra.techniquecarving (processes) construction (assembling)en_US
vra.worktypeexcavation (site)en_US
vra.worktypetempleen_US
dc.contributor.displayunknown (Egyptian (ancient))en_US


Files in this item

940.3Kb
JPEG image
3.134Mb
JPEG image
23.77Kb
JPEG image

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record