Show simple item record

dc.coverage.spatialSite: New Kalabsha Reconstruction (Aswan, Upper Egypt, Egypt)en_US
dc.coverage.temporalrelocated ca. 1970 (restoration)en_US
dc.creatorunknownen_US
dc.date.accessioned2013-04-17T18:20:33Z
dc.date.available2013-04-17T18:20:33Z
dc.date.issued2013-04-17
dc.identifier208977en_US
dc.identifier.otherarchrefid: 981en_US
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/1721.3/116857
dc.descriptionGeneral view, looking southwest, showing the pylon and approach stairs; When Egypt became an unofficial British protectorate in the late 19th century, it was decided to construct a dam at Aswan to control the inundation and to create a reserve of water for irrigation. However, the Aswan Dam, completed in 1902, proved inadequate and was replaced by the Aswan High Dam, built with Russian assistance in the 1960s. The consequent creation of Lake Nasser threatened the destruction of numerous ancient monuments, the most important of which were saved by a relocation programme carried out under UNESCO auspices. Relocated temples in the vicinity of Aswan include the Philae temples on Agilqiyya Island and the temples of Kalabsha and Beit el-Wali at New Kalabsha on the lake shore. Source: Grove Art Online; http://www.groveart.com/ (accessed 1/18/2008)en_US
dc.format.mediumstone; limestoneen_US
dc.rights© Scott Gilchrist, Archivision, Inc.en_US
dc.subjectarchitectural exteriorsen_US
dc.subjectEgypt--Civilizationen_US
dc.titleKalabsha [reconstructed site]en_US
dc.typeimageen_US
dc.rights.accessLicensed for educational and research use by the MIT community onlyen_US
dc.identifier.vendorcode1A3-EG-K-1-A3en_US
vra.culturalContextEgyptian (ancient)en_US
vra.techniqueconstruction (assembling)en_US
vra.worktypeexcavation (site)en_US
dc.contributor.displayunknown (Egyptian (ancient))en_US


Files in this item

580.5Kb
JPEG image
2.199Mb
JPEG image
19.99Kb
JPEG image

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record