Show simple item record

dc.coverage.spatialSite: Dayr al-Bahri (Thebes, Upper Egypt, Egypt)en_US
dc.coverage.temporalca. 1479-ca. 1458 BCE (creation)en_US
dc.creatorunknownen_US
dc.date-1479--1458en_US
dc.date.accessioned2013-04-17T16:22:56Z
dc.date.available2013-04-17T16:22:56Z
dc.date.issued-1479--1458en_US
dc.identifier208913en_US
dc.identifier.otherarchrefid: 758en_US
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/1721.3/116793
dc.descriptionHathor Chapel, relief of a cow (which represents Hathor) on the inner north wall just within the entry; Deir el-Bahri [Arabic: 'Northern monastery'] is an area of western Thebes, at the end of the valley called Asasif. Senenmut is commonly described as the architect of Hatshepsut's mortuary temple at Deir el-Bahri but only because he was 'overseer of royal works at Djeser-djeseru', a title he shared with several contemporary officials. The northern half of the valley is occupied by the huge temple of Queen Hatshepsut, dedicated to Amun and to her own mortuary cult. This temple, influenced by that of Mentuhotpe II, was constructed on three levels. The lowest level, behind the first court, consists of two colonnades divided by a ramp leading to the second court. In the southern colonnade, the main subject of the reliefs is the shipping of two obelisks from Aswan to Karnak. On the second level, the middle court is similar in appearance to the second court but more complex: colonnades forming its western façade are extended to north and south by two independent shrines, each consisting of a colonnaded hypostyle hall, inner halls and sanctuaries. The southern shrine is that of the cow-goddess Hathor, containing several representations of Hathor; the northern one is dedicated to jackal-headed Anubis and includes a richly decorated hypostyle hall. Both western colonnades contain scenes of exceptional interest: the southern one has inner walls partially covered with raised reliefs representing the expedition to the exotic land of Punt (probably modern Somalia), while the northern one is adorned with scenes of the divine birth of Hatshepsut. Along the northern side of the second court is an unfinished colonnade. The façade of the uppermost part of the temple (the third level) again takes the form of a colonnade, originally fronted by a row of Osirid pillars representing the Queen as the god Osiris. Source: Grove Art Online; http://www.groveart.com/ (accessed 1/15/2008)en_US
dc.format.mediumstone; limestoneen_US
dc.rights© Scott Gilchrist, Archivision, Inc.en_US
dc.subjectarchitectural exteriorsen_US
dc.subjectdeitiesen_US
dc.subjectrulers and leadersen_US
dc.subjectEgypt--Civilizationen_US
dc.subjectEgypt--Religionen_US
dc.subjectHathor (Egyptian deity)en_US
dc.subjectHatshepsut, Queen of Egypten_US
dc.subjectEighteenth Dynastyen_US
dc.subjectNew Kingdom (Egyptian)en_US
dc.titleMortuary Temple of Queen Hatshepsuten_US
dc.title.alternativeMortuary Temple of Queen Hatshepsut at Deir el-Bahrien_US
dc.typeimageen_US
dc.rights.accessLicensed for educational and research use by the MIT community onlyen_US
dc.identifier.vendorcode1A3-EG-HT-G25en_US
vra.culturalContextEgyptian (ancient)en_US
vra.techniqueconstruction (assembling)en_US
vra.worktypeexcavation (site)en_US
vra.worktypemortuary templeen_US
dc.contributor.displayunknown (Egyptian (ancient))en_US


Files in this item

494.2Kb
JPEG image
1.846Mb
JPEG image
17.23Kb
JPEG image

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record