Show simple item record

dc.coverage.spatialSite: Cairo, Urban, Egypten_US
dc.coverage.temporalca. 690-692 (creation)en_US
dc.creatorunknownen_US
dc.date690-692en_US
dc.date.accessioned2013-04-12T18:41:50Z
dc.date.available2013-04-12T18:41:50Z
dc.date.issued690-692en_US
dc.identifier208162en_US
dc.identifier.otherarchrefid: 938en_US
dc.identifier.urihttp://hdl.handle.net/1721.3/116036
dc.descriptionView of the church, looking up and east, from the court at the base of the stairs; The Hanging Church derives its name from its location on top of the southern tower gate of the old Babylon fortress [a Roman fortress in Old, or Coptic Cairo] with its nave suspended above the passage (al-Mu'allaqa translates to 'suspended'). "Among the surviving churches dated to the 7th and 8th centuries in Old Cairo are the Hanging Church (al-Mu'allaqa) and those of St Sergius (Abu Sarga) and St Barbara (Sitt Barbara)." Source: Grove Art Online; http://www.groveart.com/ (accessed 1/19/2008)en_US
dc.format.mediumstone; wooden_US
dc.rights© Scott Gilchrist, Archivision, Inc.en_US
dc.subjectarchitectural exteriorsen_US
dc.subjectCoptic Churchen_US
dc.subjectCoptic (period)en_US
dc.titleHanging Churchen_US
dc.title.alternativeal-Mu'allaqaen_US
dc.typeimageen_US
dc.rights.accessLicensed for educational and research use by the MIT community onlyen_US
dc.identifier.vendorcode1A3-CP-C-HC-B4en_US
vra.culturalContextEgyptian (ancient)en_US
vra.techniqueconstruction (assembling)en_US
vra.worktypechurchen_US
dc.contributor.displayunknown (Egyptian (ancient))en_US


Files in this item

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record