Front elevation, detail, upper portion; This church is conducted by the Augustinian Order, and contains the tomb of Saint Monica, Augustine's mother. The original church on the site was built in 1287. It was rebuilt in 1483 by the French Cardinal d'Estouteville: the masons were Jacopo da Pietrasanta and Sebastiano Fiorentino. The church is dedicated to St. Augustine, author of the Confessions. Its severe, unadorned façade is one of the earliest of the Renaissance.
Type of Workchurch
architectural exteriors, saints, Augustine, Saint, Bishop of Hippo, Renaissance
Licensed for educational and research use by the MIT community only