View of north-east corner of piazza; Piazza was created by the Farnese in front of their palace, now the French Embassy. In front of the palace are two huge baths of Egyptian granite brought here from the Baths of Caracalla in the 16th century, and used by the Farnese as a form of "royal box" from which they might watch spectacles held in the square. They were later adapted as fountains (using the lily motif of the Farnese) in 1626.
Type of Workpiazza (square)
rulers and leaders, City planning, Renaissance
Licensed for educational and research use by the MIT community only