Search the Libraries' digital collections -- images, media, maps, and more...

Saint Basil's Cathedral

Dome Repository

Show item record

dc.coverage.spatial Site: Moscow, Rossiya, Russia en_US
dc.coverage.temporal 1553-ca. 1680s (inclusive) en_US
dc.creator Yakovlev, Postnik en_US
dc.creator Barma en_US
dc.date 1553-1689 en_US
dc.date.accessioned 2013-01-25T19:03:08Z
dc.date.available 2013-01-25T19:03:08Z
dc.date.issued 1553-1689 en_US
dc.identifier 187693 en_US
dc.identifier.other archrefid: 1736 en_US
dc.identifier.uri http://hdl.handle.net/1721.3/94717
dc.description Multicolor onion dome; In 1553-1554, at the command of Ivan IV (reigned 1533-1584), the stone church of the Trinity on the Fosse (Troitsa na Rvu) was built in Red Square to commemorate the capture of Kazan. It had seven wooden chapels. In 1555-1561, however, the new brick cathedral of the Protective Veil on the Fosse (Pokrov na Rvu), attributed to the architects Barma and Postnik, was built with eight stone chapels symmetrically arranged on a common foundation around this central part. Another chapel was built in the north-east corner over the grave of the ‘holy fool’ of Moscow, Basil the Blessed (Vasily Blazhenny), in 1588, since when the cathedral has been popularly known by his name. At this time the free-standing bell-tower at the south-east corner of the building was erected. The ornamented domes over the chapels were added in 1593. In 1672 a chapel was built in the south-east corner over the grave of another ‘holy fool’, John the Blessed (Ioann Blazhenny). In the 1680s a covered gallery with columns and four vestibules was added. The bell-tower was entirely rebuilt. The outside walls of the gallery and the window casings were ornamentally painted, and a polychrome carved frieze with inscriptions was placed below the cornice. In the 18th century the ceramic inscriptions were removed during repairs, as well as the small domes at the base of the central hipped roof. Restoration work, begun in the 1890s, continued in the Soviet period. The church’s astonishing appearance symbolized a heavenly Jerusalem embodying in its forms the idea of the church-city, and to a large extent governed the original conception of the church as a multi-chapel creation. Source: Grove Art Online; http://www.oxfordartonline.com/ (accessed 6/22/2009) en_US
dc.format.medium wood; brick; tile; polychrome; gilding; stone en_US
dc.rights © Scott Gilchrist, Archivision, Inc. en_US
dc.subject architectural exteriors en_US
dc.subject decorative arts en_US
dc.subject New Testament en_US
dc.subject saints en_US
dc.subject Muscovite (style) en_US
dc.subject Sixteenth century en_US
dc.title Saint Basil's Cathedral en_US
dc.title.alternative Cathedral of Saint Basil the Blessed en_US
dc.type image en_US
dc.rights.access Licensed for educational and research use by the MIT community only en_US
dc.identifier.vendorcode 1A2-R-M-SB-C6 en_US
vra.culturalContext Russian en_US
vra.technique construction (assembling) painting and painting techniques en_US
vra.worktype cathedral en_US
dc.contributor.display attributed to Barma (Russian architect, active 1555-1560); attributed to Postnik Yakovlev (Russian architect, active ca. 1550-1562) en_US


Files in this item

Thumbnail Medium Image 437.2Kb JPEG image
Thumbnail Large Image 1.544Mb JPEG image

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show item record

Search Dome



Browse