Search the Libraries' digital collections -- images, media, maps, and more...

Hilaliyya Zawiya

Dome Repository

Show item record

dc.coverage.spatial Site: Aleppo (Halab, Syria) en_US
dc.coverage.temporal creation date: 1790, alteration date: cells for pilgrims added, 19th century en_US
dc.creator Unknown en_US
dc.date 1790 en_US
dc.date.accessioned 2008-07-07T20:02:11Z
dc.date.available 2008-07-07T20:02:11Z
dc.date.issued 1790 en_US
dc.identifier 114305 en_US
dc.identifier.uri http://hdl.handle.net/1721.3/27669 en_US
dc.description This mosque, located in he east part of the Jallum quarter, was reconstructed in 1790 to accommodate a mausoleum for Sheikh Mohammed Hilal Ram Hamdani. Over time the mosque's role evolved into a place where pilgrims could meditate in seclusion for 40 days. To house these people cells were added on three floors. The complex also has many tombs of clerics and religious leaders. Source: Hadjar, Abdallah. Historical Monuments of Aleppo. Aleppo: Automobile and Touring Club of Syria (ATCS). 119-120. en_US
dc.description interior, individual cells, 1991 en_US
dc.format.medium stone en_US
dc.format.medium granite en_US
dc.relation.ispartof 133336 en_US
dc.rights (c) Shirine Hamadeh 1991 en_US
dc.subject Tombs en_US
dc.subject Muslim pilgrims and pilgrimages en_US
dc.subject Sufism en_US
dc.subject Cells en_US
dc.subject Islamic monasteries en_US
dc.subject Architecture, Islamic --Syria en_US
dc.subject Architecture, Ottoman en_US
dc.title Hilaliyya Zawiya en_US
dc.type Image en_US
dc.rights.access All rights reserved en_US
dc.identifier.vendorcode 4A-34 en_US
vra.culturalContext Islamic en_US
vra.culturalContext Syrian en_US
vra.technique construction en_US
vra.worktype Mosque en_US
vra.worktype Religious building en_US
dc.contributor.display Islamic, Syrian en_US


Files in this item

Thumbnail Medium Image 271.3Kb JPEG image
Thumbnail Large Image 787.4Kb JPEG image

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show item record

Search Dome



Browse