Search the Libraries' digital collections -- images, media, maps, and more...

Basilica of Maxentius

Dome Repository

Show item record

dc.coverage.spatial Site: Rome, Lazio, Italy en_US
dc.coverage.temporal 306-313 (creation) en_US
dc.creator unknown en_US
dc.date 306-313 en_US
dc.date.accessioned 2013-02-25T17:50:37Z
dc.date.available 2013-02-25T17:50:37Z
dc.date.issued 306-313 en_US
dc.identifier 196038 en_US
dc.identifier.other archrefid: 1532 en_US
dc.identifier.uri http://hdl.handle.net/1721.3/103546
dc.description Close view of a single arch, from the south; It was begun by the Emperor Maxentius (reigned AD 306-312), possibly following the fire of AD 307, which severely damaged the nearby Temple of Venus and Rome, but was only completed, in slightly altered form, after his death in the Battle of the Milvian Bridge (AD 312). The Senate subsequently dedicated it to his victorious rival Constantine. The collapse of the nave and south aisle in the medieval period created the imposing ruin visible today. Unlike most earlier basilicas, which had internal colonnades and trabeated timber roofs, the Basilica of Maxentius was built with brick-faced concrete walls and concrete vaults, to a design based on the frigidaria of the Imperial thermae. The nave (82.6 x 25.3 x c. 39.0 m) was roofed with a triple groin vault decorated with oval and octagonal coffers and lit by arched clerestory windows. It was the largest vaulted space ever created by Roman architects. Three parallel barrel-vaulted chambers, 15.8 m deep and averaging 23.6 m wide, connected by broad arched openings, formed each aisle and acted as buttresses for the piers supporting the central vault. In front of these piers stood giant Corinthian columns with fluted monolithic shafts, 15.8 m high, in Proconnesian marble, which appeared to support the vault but were almost entirely decorative. The last remaining column was removed by Pope Paul V in 1613 to its present location in front of S Maria Maggiore in Rome. Source: Grove Art Online; http://www.oxfordartonline.com/ (accessed 7/13/2008) en_US
dc.format.medium marble; brick; concrete en_US
dc.rights © Scott Gilchrist, Archivision, Inc. en_US
dc.subject architectural exteriors en_US
dc.subject rulers and leaders en_US
dc.subject City planning en_US
dc.subject Roman Empire en_US
dc.subject government en_US
dc.subject civic building en_US
dc.subject Imperial (Roman) en_US
dc.title Basilica of Maxentius en_US
dc.title.alternative Basilica of Maxentius and Constantine en_US
dc.title.alternative Basilica Nova en_US
dc.type image en_US
dc.rights.access Licensed for educational and research use by the MIT community only en_US
dc.identifier.vendorcode 1A3-R-R-BCM-A3 en_US
vra.culturalContext Ancient Roman en_US
vra.technique construction (assembling) en_US
vra.worktype basilica en_US
vra.worktype excavation (site) en_US
dc.contributor.display unknown (Ancient Roman) en_US


Files in this item

Thumbnail Medium Image 630.2Kb JPEG image
Thumbnail Large Image 2.179Mb JPEG image

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show item record

Search Dome



Browse